Facebook

m/sShare on Facebook

About Me

My photo
Corfu, Greece
Liana Metal lives in Greece, on the island of Corfu. She is an EFL teacher(MAEd -Applied Linguistics), book reviewer and freelance writer. Liana is also an artist. Her drawings/paintings can be found both online at www.aggelia-online.gr and at several shops in Corfu town. To contact the artist visit http://LianaMetal.tripod.com or her blog at http://LianasKerkyra.blogspot.com Η Ηλιάνα Μεταλληνού διδάσκει Αγγλικά στην Κέρκυρα, γράφει άρθρα και ιστορίες για έντυπες και ηλεκτρονικές εκδόσεις σε όλο τον κόσμο και ζωγραφίζει. Μπορείτε να την επισκεφθείτε στην ηλεκτρονική διεύθυνση http://toasprosaligari.blogspot.com και http://www.coffeetimecorfu.com

Storytime

Storytime
A book for kids/ 3 stories in English

Saturday, July 25, 2009

Meet Claude Bouchard, the author of Vigilante

Interview with Claude Bouchard, the author of Vigilante

Tell us about yourself first.

I was born in Montreal, Canada in 1961 which is where I still live with my lovely partner, Joanne and our two black cats, Midnight and Krystalle. I completed my undergraduate studies at McGill University in management and have worked in human resources for most of my career. I love to paint in both oils and watercolours and have been playing guitar for over thirty years. I read quite a bit, mainly mystery/crime/suspense fiction which is also what I love to write.

When did you start writing?

I started writing in 1995 which is when I wrote my first draft of Vigilante.

What genres have you written?

My four books, all of a series with recurring characters, are mystery/crime fiction.


Is Vigilante your first book?

Yes. As I mentioned, Vigilante was my first serious attempt at writing back in 1995.

Tell us about your book. What is it about?

Vigilante is set in Montreal in 1996, reflecting the time when it was written. It's the story of a serial killer who has taken it upon himself to get rid of the criminals in this world as a self administered therapy to ease the trauma of a domestically violent childhood. At odds with the Vigilante is Lieutenant Dave McCall who is desperately trying to catch the killer and put an end to the onslaught of murders. When the killer sends an email to the police, in comes business executive and computer guru Chris Barry to assist McCall in tracing the electonic transmissions. Cop and businessman hit it off and work together to track down the killer. I can't say more lest I ruin the shocking ending for my eventual readers!!

What inspired you to write this book?

I have been reading all my life and one day starting toying with an idea I had in mind which I believed would make a great story of my own creation. As my thoughts became more concrete, I felt that I had enough to start putting them down on paper, so I did.

How long did it take you to write it?

The actual writing time of the first draft was approximately eight weeks. I was working fulltime in the day and would write several hours every evening and many hours on the weekends. Before actually writing, I was laying out the general plot in my mind for about a month.

Who is the publisher of your book?

I have self-published this book as well as my three others, all via Lulu.com.

Where is it on sale?

My four books can be purchased on line via my storefront at: http://stores.lulu.com/ceebee308


Tell us about your other books/work.

Following the completion of Vigilante in 1995, I wrote The Consultant (1996) and Mind Games (1997). These were all reviewed and revised several times, most recently in 2009 prior to my self-publishing them. I recently completed my fourth of the series, entitled The Homeless Killer, which is also now available. Still set in Montreal, my last book takes place ten years later, in 2006, with the main characters (McCall, Barry and others) back in action.

What are the major challenges that you have faced in your career?

We did not have the technological possibilities back in in the mid-nineties which we have today. I'm speaking of research possibilities with the internet and POD possibilities for self-publication. I had attempted in 1996 to get some interest by querying a number of agents but let the project drop after a while due to the lack of response and rejection letters. I obviously was not counting on selling books to put food on the table

Has the Internet helped you in your writing career?

How?

As I alluded to in my previous response, I believe that writing today is made so much easier, specifically when it comes to researching for a book. While revising my first three books earlier this year and more so while writing The Homeless Killer, I frequently had half a dozen internet tabs opened up at the same time where I could find the information I needed for what I was writing at any particular times. With satellite images of locations, cities, streets, down to specific buildings, it isn't as necessary now to go on location to ensure accuracy of what or where we're writing about. I might add that even interviews such as this one would not be possible without the internet!!

What do you advise new writers to do?

Write well - proper spelling, punctuation, grammar and so on are key as is presentation. Make your work a quality product because readers want quality, especially if you expect them to pay for your work. Most importantly however, write because you love it!!! That MUST be your primary reason for writing!!!

----------------

Thank you!

Actually, I thank you, Liana, for granting me this opportunity to tell you and your readers a little bit about myself. I hope that it was as interesting for you as it was fun for me! Thank you!!



1 comment:

Liana said...

Thank you, Claude, and Good Luck with your book!
Liana